10 January 2009

My Journey to Becoming a Mother

Ever since I was a little girl, I had this plan for what my life would be. I'd get married young and have 3 or 4 kids by the time I was 30. We'd have a nice house and be able to do all the things we wanted to. How very different real life turns out! I got married at 24 to my husband Dan. We wanted to start having kids right away. He has a daughter from his previous marriage that he hasn't seen since she was 6 months old when his ex-wife left and has since signed over his rights and let her new husband adopt her. I had been on Depo-Provera for 6 months prior to us getting married and it was a year before I got my next period and then they were very irregular. I thought it was just the Depo working out of my system. I had heard that it can take up to a year, but was frustrated at my doctor for not telling me before I had done it the first time. He knew what our plans were. I never thought I would have a problem with infertility. It makes me wonder if I had this problem all my life and didn't realize it. If that's the case, I'd like a refund for all the money I spent on birth control! Heck, let's apply it all to the cost for the treatments that I'll have to go through now. I finally found a doctor who would work with me last Feburary. She thought I had PCOS (polysystic ovary syndrom) and thought with medication to regulate my cycles, I should be able to get pregnant. I was so excited. I was perscribed Clomid and we started taking it in March. I was also perscribed Metformin to get my insulin levels under control, which happens sometimes with women who have PCOS (I'm not sure which causes what). We did 9 cycles of Clomid treatment with no luck. Being on Clomid is hard. You have to chart and count everything. Take the pills for 5 days starting on day 5. Use ovultation predictor kits to know when you're ovulating. Do the "baby dance" on the right days. Get monthly blood tests done to check hormone levels. My last year's calendar is FULL of numbers that don't mean anything to anyone but me. Anyhow, it didn't work. Now we're tryng to figure out what to do next. I need to go into the doctor's office again to see what's the next step. The words used were"something more invasive". Yuck. I thought I'd write down my feelings about things as we go. Sort of a therapy of sorts.

2 comments:

  1. I hate when you try to keep high hopes and positive thoughts and it all goes to waste when your lovely AF shows up!

    Have you tried using Clomid with a trigger shot that will make you Ovulate? I am in the process of doing that as well as the IUI's. It didnt work for us the first time, but we are onto #2.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not done the trigger shots. I have an appointment on the 18th and we'll see what the doctor wants to do next. Good luck with your IUI!!!

    ReplyDelete